Monday, July 2, 2012

End for this semester..

Well, semester 4 officially ended with my last day in Paediatric Ward, last Saturday being quite fun..

Before going to Paeds ward, I was quite fearful as expressed in my previous posts..
Me and one friend of mine, Han Ming, was quite dreadful thinking of children crying non stop..

But to our surprise, it's not as bad as expected!
What's more surprising is, those friends who once dreamt to be working in Paeds ward now dislike it..
Haha..! Although, all of us was quite disorientated at the first few days..

Anyway, being in the ward isn't that stresfull..
The staff nurses were approachable and helpful!
Some were quite funny in their own way..

The patients a.k.a. the children were not as hard to handle as I imagine..
Well of course, sometimes they do cry non stop when giving them nebulizer or when feeding medications..
Other than that, they were quite cute to look after..

There was once when I was taking pulse rate for a  3-4yr old boy when he suddenly hug me!
I was surprised and don't know how to react, but then I hug back...
That was cute!

Then I carry a child for the first time, where he lean on my body...
And taught a 12 year old boy Malay..
Played with a 2 year old girl...
It was kind of fun when thinking back..

Anyway, I did met a 13 year old boy who was suffering from Hydrocephalus..
He had a VP shunt which fail to function properly, and we the nurses are there to take care of him, making him feel comfortable, although mostly what we did was just talk to him..

I realised that emotional support is really needed when communicating with the parents..
They really need all the support they can get..

Looking forward to another posting in Sem 5!!

No comments: