Thursday, June 23, 2011

Night Shifts

Finally went on my night duties and it was fun although sleepy, but it was not bad..
For me and I think I may speak for others, night shift is like a party shift!
Picnic shift ~.~
Why??
Due to the late night hours, we're allowed to bring own food for the break time..
And I did brought a lot of food and snacks on the second night..

Anyway I gain some experience and knowledge on the routine and how to manage night shift.
The shift begins at 9pm and ends at 7am the next day...
Total of 10 hours spent in the ward..
There were not much to do actually, but it seemed busy..
It's like the times where you felt busy but you don't know what are you busy about..

Anyway the staff nurses were nice and friendly, willing to teach and guide.
Not just that, the nurse aid too is very friendly! We were like friends now! LOL
Only 4 students per ward during night shift, I was with Ling Min..
She was given a nickname by the nurse aid.. Haha, pity her..

We had a DIL patient in the ward.. A post ICU patient..
He had a PGU and was warded in ICU post-operatively..
Weak looking, GCS 5-6, only his right arm could move in response..

On my second night, the SN asked me to keep an eye on him, so I did..
After break (it was quite a long one), I felt a little guilty, so I decided to make a ward round to make it back up, as I was approaching the above mentioned patient, I felt something wrong..
I did not hear any breathing sound that he usually made (he breaths heavily)..
So, I check for his pulse, pulseless...
I quickly went towards the SN and the move the patient to the treatment room..
ECG monitored, asystole, then the SN in charge announce that it was a DNR case..

LO was done for the patient, and it was a coincidence that the opposite ward had a code blue..
Wow, what a night..

It was a worth it experience. I hope I can remember the routine and management in the wards in the next night duty..

2 comments:

Taste food, Taste Life said...

hmm,Im sure you won't forget this incident forever~ you discovered that the patient is not breathing anymore...geng!keep it up~~~ alert sid sid

Yein said...

Haha, just in the right place at the right time..